Our society was able to purchase the Seventh Day Baptist Church building. This was made possible with funds from our membership and other community members.
The church building is on both the State and National Registers of Historic Places. It is also on the Madison County Freedom Trail and the the Madison County Architecture and Preservation Trail.
From the DeRuyter Gleaner, dated Thursday, September 27, 1956: Seventh Day Baptist Celebrate 150th Anniversary Sept. 29 Former Pastors to Take Part in the Sesqui-Centennial Program Event One-hundred and fifty years ago, a small group of pioneer settlers banded together and trodded their way inland from Rensselaer County. They hewed their way through the wildnerness, sowing the seeds of Christianity along their pathway.
This little group, following the rivers and streams made their way to what is now known as DeRuyter. To them, it was the "Garden Spot" which they were seeking, to start a new life, and here they decided to settle. DeRuyter boasted of six log cabins and a store. The decendents or followers of this small but hardy group are planning to commemorate the arrival of this little band of pioneers. They called themselves Seventh Day Baptists. Next Sunday, members of the church will celebrate the 150th anniversary of the formation of the local society and the building of the first edifice. Elaborate plans are being made to make this event a memorable one. The Rev. Harold Crandall, a former pastor, will give the sermon, taking for his topic, "Preserving the Faith".
The program is in charge of Mrs. Robert Mickel of Cazenovia, general chairman and Mrs. Isabelle Burdick of DeRuyter and Mrs. Mary Alexander of Cortland, Co-chairmen. It was September 29, 1806 that the council composed of Elder Henry Clark, Deacon Phineas Burdick from Brookfield; Elder William Saterlee, Deacon James Burdick and Stephen Maxson from Petersburg, Rensselaer County, organized the Seventh Day Baptist Church of DeRuyter with 23 members. David Davis ordained as evangelistic elder. It is reported that no records of the church or society were kept from 1806 to 1815 when the church was reorganized. From a small band of devotees, in 1827, the congregation grew to 177. About this time the Cuyler and Lincklaen Center Seventh Day Baptist churches were organized from the DeRuyter church. A more detailed history of the church will be read at the rededication exercises Saturday by Mrs. Isabell Burdick, and will appear in the Gleaner next week. The program Saturday opens at 10:30 a.m. with an organ prelude, "Duke Street", followed by a hymn, "All Hail the Power". The call to worship will be given by the Rev. Charles Swing, followed by the invocation and responsive reading. Following a hymn, "A Charge to Keep I Have", will come the announcements, anthem and the offertory.
Mrs. Burdick, church historian, will read the history of the church. An anthem, "How Lovely Are Thy Dwellings" will follow. Rev. Rex Burdick will talk on the subject, "Children's Time", followed by Scripture reading.
Rev. Alexander Campbell
Pastor, 7th Day Baptist Church
Responsible for the establishment of DeRuyter Institute
Thanks to Robin Frazier, great granddaughter of Luther Wing for sharing her pictures of the "old" 7th Day parsonage and Rev. Wing.